Find space themed spots and attractions around Houston! Learn about astronomy, see the stars, find restaurants with a space theme, go to playgrounds with space shuttles and take pictures at lots of murals with astronauts.
If you have more space themed spots to add to the list, let us know!
Where to see stars and learn about astronomy around Houston
- Space Center Houston
- The Official Visitor Center of NASA Johnson Space Center, Space Center Houston is a leading science and space exploration learning center.
- For big families, it might make sense to get a membership and visit all year long (because admission for one day would be nearly the same price).
- Burke Baker Planetarium at The Houston Museum of Natural Science
- George Observatory at Brazos Bend State Park
- 21901 FM 762 Rd, Damon, TX 77430
- Check for open hours and head to the deck for real time camera feeds from the telescopes, expert interactions with astronomers and a laser tour of the night sky.
- Bring your own telescope or binoculars for personal viewing, with experts on hand to guide.
- Burke Baker Planetarium at Houston Museum of Natural Science
- 5555 Hermann Park Dr, Houston, TX 77030
- Visitors can "fly" through the universe, experience the vastness of space, roam planetary surfaces, navigate asteroid fields and watch the latest fulldome shows.
- Houston Astronomical Society
- An active community of enthusiastic amateur and professional astronomers with over 60 years of history in the Houston area.
- Through education and outreach, the programs promote science literacy and astronomy awareness.
- North Houston Astronomy Club
- Join NHAC and observe, learn, and share.
- Stargazing spots around Houston
- Here are spots to get away from the lights and view the stars!
Restaurants with space themes
- McDonald's Clear Lake
- 1421 NASA Road 1, Houston, TX 77058
- The McDonald's right next to Space Center Houston has an astronaut on the roof. And very soon (late summer 2021), a new one will open up right across the street. It will have an astronaut on ground level, ready for pictures.
- 3713 Nasa Parkway, Seabrook, TX 77586
- We've never been, but it is said to be a popular NASA hangout near the Johnson Space Center. Portraits of astronauts fill the walls.
Playgrounds with space themed play structures
- Schreiber Flagship Park
- 3134 83rd St, Galveston, TX 77554
- Right past Moody Gardens is Schreiber Flagship Park. It is an AMAZING Space City Park with space shuttle playgrounds for big and little kids… plus a splashpad and restrooms.
- Sunset Park Rosenberg
- 2017 Mulcahy St, Rosenberg, TX 77471
- The playground has a space shuttle playground. This park has lots of space and a playground, basketball court, baseball fields, sand volleyball court, tennis courts, picnic areas and restrooms.
- Brookshire City Park
- 715 Bains St, Brookshire, TX 77423
- This small park has a space shuttle playground, similar to Sunset Park in Rosenberg.
- Challenger Seven Memorial Park
- 2301 W Nasa Blvd, Webster, TX 77598
- Challenger Seven Memorial Park is named in honor of the seven NASA astronauts who lost their lives in the explosion of the Challenger Space Shuttle. This giant park in Webster has a monument commemorating the heroes.
- Second City at Second Baptist Church Woodway
- 6400 Woodway Dr, Houston, TX 77057
- This big, free, indoor playground has soft equipment and is open to all. There is a lot to do for little kids… with different areas including a space shuttle play structure.
Space themed murals
There are a lot of murals with astronauts around Space City. These can change... so let us know if anything has been repainted. Also, please let us know of more space themed murals around Houston!
Click the links to see the pictures!
- Out of this World… #DowntownMars Mural
- 1301 Leeland St, Houston, TX 77002
- Three sides of the Texas Direct Auto building are covered in art! The #DowntownMars Mural is by Sebastien "Mr.D 1987" Boileau and Eyeful Art. Two sides of the building look like Mars… and one side is our favorite astronaut dog.
- HOU Astronaut Mural
- 2101 Smith St (Mural is around the back at Louisiana and Gray)
- This HOU Astronaut mural, by David Maldonado, is at the Starbucks at 2101 Smith Street in Midtown. It's located behind the building, so you will see it from the corner of Louisiana Street and West Gray Street.
- Share the Love
- 5330 Weslayan St, Houston, TX 77005
- "Share the Love", the Michael's Cookie Jar mural, is by artist David Maldonado. I love t he astronaut with a cookie!
- East River Mural
- Clinton Dr @ Jensen Dr, Houston, TX 77020
- East River Mural is by Artist David Maldonado and it features the bayou, bluebonnets, beehives and a space city astronaut. It was inspired by the surrounding Historic Fifth Ward and East End neighborhoods.
- Lady Astronaut by 8th Wonder
- 2202 Dallas St, Houston, TX 77003
- Just east of Downtown, surrounding 8th Wonder Brewery, you can find lot of art including this lady astronaut by DonkeeMom.
- Houston Graffiti Building
- 1503 Chartres St, Houston, TX 77003
- If you are looking for murals, the Graffiti Building and the surrounding blocks is the place to go! This includes astronaut murals!
- Space City Mural in Rice Village
- Amherst Street and Kirby, behind Shake Shack in Rice Village
- This Space City mural, by artist Michael C. Rodriguez, is tucked behind a building in Rice Village. Look for it behind Shake Shack!
- Shake Shack Montrose
- 1002 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77006
- This Houston mural has a bear astronaut. I have it on my re-visit list so I can try to find more information about the artist. If you know more, let me know!