Get dirty at Houston area farms and zoos!
Whether you want to tour a working farm, go on a drive-thru safari, meet some animals or swing into piles of hay… the Houston area has plenty of farms and zoos ready to welcome you.
Find the long list below… and tell us what to add!
These Houston area farms are working (or hobby) farms and provide tours and education.
- Agape Farm:
- Located in Richards.
- Schedule a tour.
- Learn the basic biology of honey bees and the important steps in working a hive of bees.
- For a small fee, BeeWeaver has public and private tours available.
- Guest are protected in the screened in observation deck and the beekeeper explains the tools and practices of beekeeping… and the biology of the honey bee and parts of a hive.
- Figment Ranch:
- Take a private tour of Figment Ranch and meet the llamas!
- Make an appointment, take a golf cart tour through the ranch and learn about the animals.
- For about an hour and a half you are escorted through the park and you get to pet, feed and learn about llamas, alpacas, emus, dwarf pygmy goats, sheep, turkeys, chickens, guinea hens, pigs, tortoises, ducks, dogs and cats.
- The Good Vibe Farm:
- Schedule an appointment and take a private tour!
- The tree covered tour lasts 1 hour and will be filled with fainting goats, horses, chickens, donkeys, a pig and mini horses.
Zoos and Drive-thru Safaris
At these Houston area farms and zoos, you either walk through to see the animals or you drive through and feed the animals from your car or a tram. (Many of these were sent to us, with their consent, by our friends at Fun2Go Misters. Go follow them for more ideas!)
- Aggieland Adventure Zoo & Safari Park:
- Just under two hours from Houston, find a 250 acre drive-thru safari and 20 acres of walk-through zoo!
- Bayou Wildlife Park:
- Right along a busy road, back behind the trees, is the Bayou Wildlife Zoo.
- Here they have animals from 19 different countries, including locations in Africa, Asia, Australia, and North and South America.
- Instead of staying in your car, you take a tram ride through the 86-acre property where exotic wildlife is allowed to roam.
- Crocodile Encounter:
- Crocodile Encounter has alligators, crocodiles, tortoises and so much more.
- You can take a guided tour, take a self-guided tour or organize a group field trip.
- You can feed the giant tortoises and throw pellets to the alligators and, if you are on a tour, the tour guide feeds the big alligators and crocodiles. (Our favorite part is always feeding the giant tortoises!)
- Exotic Resort Zoo in Johnson City:
- About three hours from Houston is the Exotic Resort Zoo at Johnson City.
- Right now it is operating as a drive-through zoo only.
- Franklin Drive Thru Safari:
- About a two hour drive from Houston is Franklin Drive Thru Safari.
- At this 100 acre adventure park, you can feed and interact with exotic animals from around the world.
- Hatari Wildlife Park:
- Not too far outside Houston is Hatari Wildlife Park! It includes a drive-thru safari and a shady walking trail with lots of room to explore.
- You start at the drive-thru safari where you see bison, camels, lemurs and more. Then you get out of the car at the Explorers Retreat. Here you can visit the gift shop, dig for artifacts, pet some animals and feed the giraffes!
- Houston Zoo:
- Located in Houston’s Museum District.
- Find the long list of animals HERE.
- Animal encounters are also available with a special ticket.
- Topsey Exotic Ranch:
- A few hours from Houston is Topsey Exotic Ranch… where you can get up close to the animals without leaving your car!
- Located on 350 acres, guests can experience wildlife in a natural setting.
These Houston area farms have places to play, with big slides and hay piles and fun things to do. Some are only open seasonally.
- 7 Acrewood:
- Located in Conroe.
- Petting zoo, mini golf, pony rides and play town.
- Berryland :
- Located in Winnie.
- Open in the fall. Corn Maze, Pumpkin Patch, Hay Stack, Pumpkin Bowling, Candy Corn Hill and more.
- Blessington Farm:
- Located in Simonton.
- Open around the year (with some breaks between seasons).
- Giant slides, barrel train rides, pedal cars and hands-on animal encounters with chickens, Baby Doll sheep, goats and many more. Feed camels, enjoy the walk-thru aviary and try the Gem Mining experience.
- Dewberry Farm:
- Located in Brookshire.
- Open in the fall and winter.
- Corn Maze, Pumpkins, Train Ride, Slide Mountain, Zip Lines, Pedal Cars and so much more!
- Froberg Farms:
- Located in Alvin.
- Market open all year. Seasonal events like corn maze, holiday festival and strawberry picking.
- Oil Ranch:
- Located in Hockley.
- All activities are included with admission price… milk a cow, ride a horse, climb the hay bales and so much more. Free pumpkins for kids. See our past post HERE.
- Old MacDonalds Farm:
- Located in Humble.
- Open for year-round fun on the farm.
- A 15 acre farm with petting zoo, pony rides, train ride and swimming pool.
- Old Time Christmas Time Farm:
- Located in Spring.
- Open in the fall and winter.
- P-6 Farms:
- Located in Montgomery.
- Open in the fall and spring.
- TGR Exotics:
- Located in Spring.
- 100 animals representing over 25 species.