Since school is a little different this year… we’re posting an idea for a Houston area field trip each week. All are socially distanced and parent led... and in each post, we have some resources to read before your trip, details on each stop and parking/driving instructions.
If you have ideas for field trips and things to do in Houston, let us know!
Field Trips about Houston:
- Houston History: Learn about Houston History as you visit Allen’s Landing, Houston’s First City Hall, Houston’s First Library and Houston’s First Park.
- Texas City Field Trip: See the 9th largest port in the country and learn about one of the largest non-nuclear explosions ever… in Texas City.
- Houston Ship Channel: Here’s where to see the Houston Ship Channel… and how to see which ships are in the water! Use all the resources provided by the Houston Maritime Museum and then go see it for yourself!
Field Trips about War History:
- World War II History in Galveston: Tour old war ships and find an old fort.
- The Battle of San Jacinto: Go to where Texas won its independence. Go to the San Jacinto Battleground, the spot where Santa Anna was captured, the San Jacinto Monument and the San Jacinto Museum!
- Roadtrip to the National WWII Museum: Take a trip to a giant, immersive, engaging museum about the war that changed the world.
Field Trips about Science:
- DeBakey Cell Lab: Get Up Close with Cellular Biology!
- Energy: The Energy Industry Comes to Life at the Wiess Energy Hall!
- Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig: Learn all about the oil and gas industry while being aboard a retired jack-up drilling rig at the Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig Museum.
- Lone Star Flight Museum: Learn about aviation, fly the simulator and explore hangars full of planes at the Lone Star Flight Museum!
Field Trips about Nature and Animals:
- Galveston Island State Park: Study Nature, Geocache, Fish & Hike at Galveston Island State Park!
- Butterflies: Explore the Butterfly Center and Plant Your Own Garden
- Mexican Free-Tail Bats: See 250,000 bats emerge from the Waugh Bridge Bat Colony!
- Crocodile Encounter: Get Up-Close to Alligators, Crocodiles and Tortoises… at Crocodile Encounter!
- BeeWeaver: Learn basic biology of honey bees & important steps in working a hive!
Virtual Field Trips:
- Virtual Field Trips in Houston: In most of our Houston field trips, we head out to parks, landmarks and museums… but in this post, we’re learning from home. Here are some ideas for virtual field trips in Houston!
Field Trips Especially for Little Kids:
- Fairy Trail: Little kids can search for fairies along a Fairy Trail… and learn about recycling, volunteerism, community, healthy eating, waste prevention, native plants and wildlife and care for our environment.