What are the best Texas roadtrips to take from Houston, with kids?
Read on to see spots near Houston, towards Austin, Corpus Christi, San Antonio and Dallas. Drive a short distance, or drive for a few hours… either way, there is a great adventure waiting!
Close to Houston:
- The Woodlands Resort – 31 Miles from Downtown Houston – 2301 N Millbend Dr, The Woodlands, TX 77380
- Water slide, underwater music, sprayground, toddler pool, lazy river, dive-in movies and family activities.
- 200 miles of hiking and biking trails that meander through the southern reaches of the East Texas Piney Woods.
- La Torretta – 55 Miles from Downtown Houston – 600 La Torretta Blvd, Montgomery, TX 77356
- Aqua park, pools, lazy river, beach, mini golf, kids camp
- Lone Star Jellystone Park – 50 Miles from Downtown Houston – 34843 Betka Rd, Waller, TX 77445
- Camping/cabins with Yogi, Boo Boo, and Cindy!
- Fishing, swimming pools, mini-golf and lazy river!
Head Towards Austin:
- Hyatt Lost Pines – 146 Miles from Downtown Houston – 575 Hyatt Lost Pines Road, Lost Pines, Texas 78612
- Luxurious hotel next to the McKinney Roughs Nature Park.
- Kayaking, raft trips, horseback riding, hiking, and live music.
- Austin – 163 Miles from Downtown Houston
- The Antlers – 220 Miles from Downtown Houston – 1001 King St., Kingsland, Texas 78639-5252
- Sleep in a caboose, play in the yard, swim in the lake!
Head Towards Corpus Christi:
- Explore Corpus Christi – 207 Miles from Downtown Houston
- Texas State Aquarium – 207 Miles from Downtown Houston – 2710 N Shoreline Blvd, Corpus Christi, TX 78402
- Dolphins, eagles, flowers, splashpads, otters, sharks, stingrays and more.
- USS Lexington, Aircraft Carrier and WWII Museum – 207 Miles from Downtown Houston – 2914 N Shoreline Blvd, Corpus Christi, TX 78402
- Museum and educational facility on WWII Aircraft Carrier.
- Pirate Cruise – 364 Miles from Downtown Houston – 501 E Maxan St, Port Isabel, TX 78578
- Take a cruise on a pirate ship! There is interactive entertainment as you cruise around Laguna Madre.
- South Padre Island – 369 Miles form Downtown Houston
- 34-miles of beaches and attractions
Head Towards San Antonio:
- The Tipis at Geronimo Creek Retreat – 163 Miles from Downtown Houston – 2050 Laubach Rd, Seguin, TX 78155
- Not camping… “glamping” at Geronimo Creek. Stay in a tipi or cabin… with beds, kitchens and private bathrooms.
- Go camping… without really “roughing it”.
- Landa Park Aquatic Center – 175 Miles from Downtown Houston – 350 Aquatic Circle, New Braunfels, TX 78130
- Schlterbahn Waterpark – 176 Miles from Downtown Houston – 400 N Liberty Ave, New Braunfels, TX 78130
- 70 acre waterpark next to the Comal River.
- River adventures, kid’s water playgrounds, and spots to relax and picnic.
- Gruene – 176 Miles from Downtown Houston
- Texas’ oldest continually operating dance hall. Whitewater raft, tube and canoe trips on the Guadalupe and Comal Rivers. Fly fishing, pottery making and lots of history.
- Mayan Dude Ranch – 246 Miles from Downtown Houston – 350 Mayan ranch rd, Bandera, TX 78003
- Garner State Park – 285 Miles from Downtown Houston – 234 RR 1050, Concan, TX 78838
- Next to 2.9 miles of Frio River and on 1,774 acres.
- Swim, inner tube, paddle boat, hike, camp, fish, mini-golf, geocache, bike and dance.
- Chalk Bluff Park – 293 Miles from Downtown Houston – 1108 Chalk Bluff Road, Uvalde, TX 78801
- On the Nueces River.
- Camp, swim and hike.
- San Antonio – 200 Miles from Downtown Houston
Head Towards Dallas:
- Texas State Railroad – 150 Miles from Downtown Houston – Park Road 76, Rusk, TX 75785 & 789 Park Road 70, Palestine, TX 75801
- Steam Engine runs out of Palestine and a diesel departs from Rusk.
- Travel 25 miles through the woods.
- Dinosaur Valley State Park – 259 Miles to Downtown Houston – 1629 Park Rd 59, Glen Rose, TX 76043
- Find dinosaur tracks, camp, picnic, hike, mountain bike, swim and fish.
- Grapevine – 263 Miles from Downtown Houston
- Historic Downtown has shops, restaurants and galleries.
- LEGO Land Discovery Center – 263 Miles from Downtown Houston – 3000 Grapevine Mills Parkway, Grapevine, TX 76051
- Lots of Legos and indoor Lego playground.
- Sea Life Aquarium – 263 Miles from Downtown Houston – 3000 Grapevine Mills Pkwy, Grapevine, TX 76051
- Feed shows, touch zones, play zone and more.
- Great Wolf Lodge – 264 Miles from Downtown Houston – 100 Great Wolf Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051
- Indoor and outdoor water park, kids spa and more.
- Dove Park – 266 Miles from Downtown Houston – 1509 Hood Ln, Grapevine, TX 76051
- Open summers and very reasonable admission.
- Slides, climbing wall, water playground.
- Fort Worth Zoo – 267 Miles to Downtown Houston – 1989 Colonial Pkwy, Fort Worth, TX 76109
- Open 365 Days a Year.
Also, did you know your Houston Museum and Zoo Memberships can get you free or discounted admission at museums and zoos all over the world? Learn more HERE!