Things to do in Port Aransas, with kids!
We recently had a chance to spend a couple more days in Port Aransas, Texas. I am certainly not an expert on all there is to do... but we did our best to explore this small town on Mustang Island by Corpus Christi!
Tell us what to add!
Things to do in Port Aransas, with Kids:
To get to the island, we took the ferry. It is a super short ride (just a couple minutes).
On the way to the island, the wait was 45 minutes (on a Sunday). On the way home, it was 20 minutes. You can see current wait times HERE.
(My tot just has one complaint. She was expecting a fairy and not a ferry. You can understand her disappointment. Good things we spotted dolphins in the water!)
Located right next to the ferry landing, this was our favorite spot. There was a cool pirate ship playground and from the pier we saw sea turtles and dolphins!
This park also has pavilions, restrooms, an observation tower and a lighted fishing pier.
Pick up a $12 permit from the local shops (like Stripes gas station) and park anywhere along the miles of beaches. Just check the signs for handicapped spots and a few no parking areas.
You can back right up to the beach so you don't need to haul anything too far. The sand is packed (unless there has been no rain) so a car, golf cart, truck or RV can drive on it fine.
4. Golf Carts
I kept on looking for a downtown pedestrian area... but never found one. That's when I figured out why everyone had rented golf carts. They rented houses and hotels and then took their golf carts anywhere they wanted to go.
We did not rent one, but we might have been the only ones.
If you have a favorite spot for renting these, let us know!
5. More to do
Here's what others have recommended for our next trip!
- Winston's Island Candy
- Dolphin Tours
- Pirate Ship Tours
- Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center
- Port Aransas Museum
- University of Texas Marine Science Institute
- San Jose Island (Ferry ride from Port Aransas)
We've either taken the family to these spots... or been told to try them. Let us know your favorites!
- Seafood and Spaghetti Works
- Virginia's On The Bay - Go during the day or at sunset for a great view. We even spotted some dolphins and a pirate ship from our table.
- San Juan Mexican Restaurant - This place might be the quickest, most efficient, most reasonable good restaurant in the universe. Really, it's fast and good. Kids meals were under $4.
- Pizzeria Port A - It's not fancy, but it was good and pretty cheap to feed a family of six. That was perfect for us.
- Dessert Island Ice Cream - Fun and funky place for ice cream.