They get thoughts of the lazy river, water slides, splashpad, under water music, smores and poolside movies in their heads… and it’s all they can talk about. In fact, three years in a row, they have opted to visit the resort instead of hosting birthday bashes at home.
Lucky for all of us, the resort invited us out again this year and the kids got to spend two days hoping between pools, slides and poolside activities. AND I finally figured out the best time to go to The Woodlands Resort.
During the summer, The Woodlands Resort has activities by the pool. I thought these were scheduled only on the weekends… but there are activities ALL week long!
Each day there are crafts and games poolside and each evening their are smores and dive in movies. On the weekends, they add more like face painting and balloon artists. (Find the schedule for 2017 HERE.)
We would play, grab (free) water from the cafe, run to the room for sunscreen and a rest and do it all again. The resort was all ours, so we could do what we wanted, when we wanted!
While we were here, the big kids were in the nearby big pool, diving down to the treasure chest (at the bottom of the pool) and listening to the underwater music.
I should also mention that it is much easier to watch multiple kids at The Woodlands Resort than at a big water park. You have to pay attention but there is a lot to do and it’s not too huge. (That said, all my big kids can swim, but I make the 5 year old wear a vest so I am more comfortable with 4 kids at the pool.)
At The Woodlands Resort, all of the activities are included in the price of the room (which starts at $199 in the summer)… hotel room, pools, crafts, activities, face painting, s’mores and movies.
Also, The Woodlands Resort keeps the pools open during the rain and will only close them because of lightning or really severe weather. And since the point of swimming is to get wet, the scattered showers were really no big deal.
If you plan to visit the resort, here are some quick tips to help you plan your trip…
- The resort will close the pools for very severe weather… but will stay open in the rain.
- If it is too wet, the crafts, activities and movies will move in to the ballroom.
- There a lot of activities on weekends… but weekdays in the summer still have games, smores and dive in movies! Check with the resort when you are booking your trip.
- The pools include a lazy river, shallow baby pool, splashpad, giant waterfall pool and the big pool with beach entry, palm tree island, underwater music and water slides. All around the pools are lounge chairs and poolside food and drink service.
- If you want a quieter/less busy spot, walk along the Lazy River. Even on busy days, these lounge chairs are often open and the “secret” water slide has fewer kids in line.
- There are no lifeguards on duty. The staff is great with helping you enjoy your trip, but you must plan to watch your kids in the water.
- Floaties and toys are allowed. Feel free to bring noodles and small water toys, but no balls or water guns.
- Tubes are provided for the lazy river. My 5 year old slipped through (often on purpose)… so if yours truly want to float down the river, bring a small innertube.
- Bring your life vests if you need them… but if you forget, ask the staff. Some might be available behind the bar.
- Wear sandals when it’s sunny! The sidewalks can be super hot in the middle of the day.
- To use the slides, kids need to be 42″. Depending on the staff on duty, this can be 42″ with spiky hair or a solid 43″.
- No outside food is allowed by the pools… but we brought our own groceries for snacks and a light lunch to eat in the room (which has a mini fridge). We also brought in gallons of water to be sure we stayed hydrated.
- The poolside restaurant has coolers of ice water for everyone to drink.
- Bring lots of sunscreen and run back to your room every hour to reapply, get a drink and eat a snack.
- Mornings are very quiet at the resort. If you want the pools to yourself, try going at 8:00am, when the open.
- Weekdays are AMAZING, but weekends are great too. There is a buzz at the resort with all the activity… so if that is the only time you can go… do it!
- If you have multiple swimsuits, bring them! If you run to the room for a rest, you might like a dry (warm) suit to put on!
- For more tips from our last sunny visit, go HERE!
Find more pictures below… and if you go, tell us about it! If you are looking for more easy roadtrip ideas, go HERE!