Each school day I make my kids a fun lunch. It started as a way to get them excited about a long day at school. Now it's the only way we know how to make lunch. Two of our favorite fun lunches are sushi and rice balls.
Let me share my tips for making these lunches, but remember, my skills in the kitchen are questionable. If you want tips on making the perfect lunch, try another website. If you want tips on an easy way to make fun lunches, read on!
1. Use Sushi or Japanese Rice (Not just any rice. It needs to be sticky.)
2. Throw rice into Rice Cooker. Add water and food coloring (if you want). Press ‘start’.
3. When rice is cooked, add some salt.
4. Rinse any Rice Mold and a spoon with water. (The water helps prevent the rice from sticking.)
5. Spoon rice into the mold and squeeze it tight.
6. Gently shake out rice shape. Add salt if desired.
7. Add decoration by cutting out Nori or using a Nori Punch.
1. Make Japanese Rice in the rice cooker. Make sure it’s Japanese Rice or it won’t stick. (I know from experience.)
2. Lay out Sushi Mat and cover with a piece of plastic wrap and a sheet of Nori.
3. When rice is ready, add some salt and then put a thin layer of rice on the nori. Add a splash of water if it’s a little dry.
4. Make a line with the fillings. For the kids I just added avocado (dipped in orange juice to keep it green).
5. Roll over the nori and apply a lot of pressure. (It is the part that I usually screw up.) The roll needs to be really tight. Once it is wrapped up, squeeze again with the sushi mat.
6. Use a wet knife to cut the roll into slices.
For my favorite lunch box tools, go here!