Fortunately I did know from playing competitive sports that a head injury plus loss of consciousness plus vomiting meant to get to a doctor right away. It was a Sunday afternoon so we called our doctor's answering service on the way to Urgent Care for Kids. Within 30 seconds of walking in there, they told us to get to Texas Children's for a CT Scan.
At Texas Children's we were calmly rushed to see a team of doctors and get a CT Scan. Five hours later we walked out with a bad concussion, but to my great relief, without internal bleeding or fractures.
I then began asking Houston parents for advice on where to go for a weekend injury, or serious emergency, when the pediatrician is not available. (If you are looking for Houston Pediatricians, go HERE.)
It looks like Houston has lots of spots that specialize in emergency care for kids. Some are good for the flu and non-life-threatening injuries and others are equipped to handle the most critical issues.
Note that this is for your information only. BigKidSmallCity does not provide medical advice and is not responsible for your experiences or the treatment of your injuries.
With that, here are the suggestions from Houston parents!
- Texas Children's Hospital - Medical Center - Feedback is that this is great for critical emergencies and there is a fast track for minor emergencies... but wait times can be long at times.
- Memorial Hermann - Memorial City - Has a children ER(and CT Scan)
- Urgent Care for Kids - West University, The Woodlands, Katy, Spring
- Bellaire ER - Bellaire
- Night Light - Sugar Land
- Prime Urgent Care - Pearland
- Kelsey Seybold Emergency Clinic - Multiple Locations
- Little Spurs Pediatric Urgent Care - 290 and 34th (and more locations)
Do you have more to add? Let us know!