What To Expect: Applying To HoustonISD Magnet Schools For The NEXT 2020-2021 Year
HoustonISD will be accepting 2020-2021 Magnet Applications September 27, 2019 through December 6, 2019… so if you want to send your kids NEXT year, you need to apply THIS fall!
To get you ready for the process, here are the key points that you need to know.
- The comprehensive “what you need to know” post is HERE!
- The HISD quick guide to the process can be found HERE.
- The 2020–2021 HISD magnet application will be available online or through a paper application on September 27, 2019. They are accepted until December 6, 2019… and families hear back January 30, 2020.
- It only takes 10 minutes to complete… but deciding on which schools to apply to can take longer.
- There are a lot of open houses and school tours that help you decide: These are on the following Thursdays. Arrive at 9 a.m. for elementary and K-8 schools, and at 1 p.m. for secondary schools: October 3, 10, 17, 24, 31, November 7, 14, 21, December 5, 2019. (All schools will offer 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. tours on November 21 and December 5.)
- Your favorite school is likely the favorite school of hundreds of other families. To see the popularity of the HISD programs, go HERE. (This is a very cool resource… and lets you know what to expect.)
- Chances are, you will not get into many of the schools you apply to. THIS is why I said it’s okay (after 5 years of being heartbroken by my favorite school).
- This is what will happen starting September 27, 2019:
- You apply to up to 10 schools, with 5 being magnet schools, for the 2020-2021 school year. (To learn about Choice schools, go HERE.)
- You will rank you favorite schools… for example: #1 River Oaks Vanguard, #2 Wharton Dual Language, #3 Poe Fine Arts, #4 Wilson Montessori…
- In late January, you will learn which schools have accepted our application (through the lottery).
- If you got a spot at #2 Wharton, you would stay on the waitlist for #1 River Oaks, but be dropped from the waitlists from #3 Poe and #4 Wilson…
- The official HoustonISD resources can be found HERE.
For parents that are brand new to HoustonISD, look HERE to learn about zoned schools and your options within the school district.
If you have tips or questions, let us know. And remember that this is meant to be helpful because I found the process very confusing 9 years ago… and have since been through it 4 times. This is not the official HoustonISD Magnet resource… that can be found HERE!