Free or Cheap Summer Camps & Classes for Houston Kids for 2019
Summer camps and activities can be outrageously expensive. To help you have more fun in Houston, with kids, we have FREE and CHEAP camps and classes listed below.
These camps FILL FAST so I am posting this EARLY. For those not available YET, add them to your “wish list” online and you can see when registration opens for each one.
For more camp recommendations (that are not free), go HERE.
Houston Parks and Recreation Department (H.P.A.R.D.):
- The city has 60 Community Centers that provide: After-School Enrichment Program, Summer Enrichment Program, After-School Achievement Program (ASAP), Instructional Sports, Nature and Environmental Education and Exploration Programs, Teen Programs, Senior Adult Program, Adult Arts and Specialty Crafts and a host of fitness activities and programs.
- The Summer Enrichment Program is a ten-week day camp-style program for ages 6 – 13. To apply, go to HERE.
City of Houston Swim Lessons:
- The City of Houston also offers FREE Swim Lessons. All of these classes are free and are filled on a “first come, first served” basis during specified registration periods.
- H2OSAFE LEARN TO SWIM classes are offered at three levels and are designed to teach youth ages 6 – 13 basic swim skills, swim strokes, and water safety skills to help them become proficient at swimming.
- SwimWise is a series of FREE learn to swim classes offered for all ages and skill levels.
City of Houston Sports Lessons:
- The city provides year-round programming and recreational sports opportunities for children ages 4 to 18.
- A variety of free recreational sports are available. Participants receive equipment, uniforms, facility usage and expert coaching free of charge.
- Learn more HERE.
Houston Public Library Camp STREAM:
- Camp STREAM is a free week-long summer program that allows students the opportunity to participate in activities relating to each aspect of STREAM (Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Arts and Math) each day of the week. K-12.
Jesse H. Jones Summer Nature Camp:
- Children ages 5 to 12 can participate in this four-day, Tuesday through Friday, educational summer program including hands-on activities, walks, and crafts.
- Harris County residents receive priority. Online registration begins Monday, May 6 and is ongoing until full.
- (Thanks Jason N for the tip!)
Vacation Bible Schools:
- Churches all around Houston have Vacation Bible Schools… often for FREE or for under $50. Look for a church near your house and check on their programs.
- Second Baptist has a FREE camp at multiple locations the week of July 15. Details will be posted HERE.
- If you have a favorite VBS, tell us!