What to Expect: Applying to HoustonISD Magnet Schools for the NEXT 2018-2019 Year
HoustonISD will be accepting 2018-2019 Magnet Applications on September 22th, 2017… so if you want to send your kids NEXT year, you need to apply THIS fall!
- Find the comprehensive “what you need to know” post HERE.
- The 2018–2019 HISD magnet application will be available online or through a paper application on September 22, 2017. They are accepted until December 8, 2017… and families hear back by March 22, 2018. (Of course, Harvey could change these dates!)
- It only takes 10 minutes to complete… but deciding on which schools to apply to can take longer. There are a lot of open houses and school tours that help you decide: These are October 5, 12, 19, 26, November 2, 9, 16, 30, and December 7. All Magnet Campuses will offer tours to interested parents.
- Your favorite school is likely the favorite school of hundreds of other families. To see the popularity of the HISD programs, go HERE. (This is a very cool resource from last year… and lets you know what to expect.)
- Chances are, you will not get into many of the schools you apply to. THIS is why I said it’s okay (after 5 years of being heartbroken by my favorite school).
- The process and the programs and generally (mostly) the same each year. Read THIS for an overview of zoned schools, vanguard schools, magnets schools and the process.
- Most likely, this is what will happen starting September 22, 2017:
- You apply to up to 5 schools for the 2018-2019 school year.
- You will rank you favorite schools… for example: #1 River Oaks Vanguard, #2 Wharton Dual Language, #3 Poe Fine Arts, #4 Wilson Montessori…
- In March, you will learn which schools have accepted our application (through the lottery).
- If you got a spot at #2 Wharton, you would stay on the waitlist for #1 River Oaks, but be dropped from the waitlists from #3 Poe and #4 Wilson…
- The official HoustonISD resources can be found HERE.
For parents that are brand new to HoustonISD, look HERE to learn about zoned schools and your options within the school district.
If you have tips or questions, let us know. And remember that this is meant to be helpful because I found the process very confusing 7 years ago… and have since been through it 3 times. This is not the official HoustonISD Magnet resource… that can be found HERE!