Back to school means... 180 school day lunches, multiplied by 3 kids.
I love being a mom and I love having little kids and I know that packing a lunch is no real hardship... but I really don't like it. I spent years making the cutest bento boxes, followed by years of making boring old PB&Js...
This is what you told me. Thank YOU! (And if you have more ideas, let us know!)
Affiliate links included.
No-Peanut Sandwich Ideas:
- Sunbutter: Made with sunflower seeds. Check with your school, but this may be okay even if no nuts are allowed.
- Wow Butter: Made with soy butter. Check with your school, but this may be okay even if no nuts are allowed.
- Honey Sesame Butter: Made with sesame seeds. Check with your school, but this may be okay even if no nuts are allowed.
- Nutella: Hazelnut spread (that some moms have been known to eat from the jar)
- Almond Butter: Made with almonds.
- Cream Cheese & Cucumber Sandwiches
- Cheese, Meat and/or Veggie Sandwiches and Wraps
- Cream Cheese & Jelly Sandwiches
- Strawberry, Mayo, Turkey & Swiss Cheese Sandwiches!
No-Sandwich Lunch Ideas:
- Pasta Salad
- Tacos/Burritos: Use Shredded Rotisserie Chicken and/or Veggies
- Fruit & Cheese Plate: Serve with Crackers or Pita Chips.
- Hummus, Pita & Crudités
- Cracker Sandwiches: Turkey Pepperoni, Salami with Cheese
- Pasta "Muffins"
- Zucchini Muffins: Freeze them... and they thaw by lunch.
- Soup: Send in a thermos.
- Dinner!: Send last night's dinner in a thermos! Spaghetti and meatballs, Tortellini, Mac and Cheese, Chicken Tenders, Broccoli Cheese Nuggets, Pasta, Couscous, Quinoa, Enchiladas, etc
- Bentos/Homemade "Lunchables": Fruit, cheese cubes, meat/chicken/tuna, etc
You can also see the highlights of my (old) years of cute bentos HERE.
Here are Pranika's ideas for school lunches that are not sandwiches! (And everyone always asks about her lunch boxes... the links are HERE!)