What to Expect: Applying to HoustonISD Magnet Schools for the NEXT 2019-2020 Year
UPDATE: See the 2020-2021 post HERE!
HoustonISD will be accepting 2019-2020 Magnet Applications on September 28, 2018… so if you want to send your kids NEXT year, you need to apply THIS fall!
To get you ready for the process, here are the key points that you need to know.
- Find the comprehensive “what you need to know” post HERE.
- Last year there were budget cuts and the magnet school program was under review. Since then, the bus system has changed some… but it looks like the application process is the same for next year. (If you have any other updates, let us know!)
- The 2019–2020 HISD magnet application will be available online or through a paper application on September 28, 2018. They are accepted until December 7, 2018… and families hear back in March 2019.
- It only takes 10 minutes to complete… but deciding on which schools to apply to can take longer.
- There are a lot of open houses and school tours that help you decide: These are October ( 4, 11, 18, 25), November (1, 8, 15, 29), and December 6. Tour any HISD school on the following School Choice Thursdays. Arrive at 9 a.m. for elementary and K-8 schools, and at 1 p.m. for secondary schools: Oct. 4, 11, 18, 25; Nov. 1, 8, 15, 29*; Dec. 6*. (*All schools will offer 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. tours on these two dates.)
- Your favorite school is likely the favorite school of hundreds of other families. To see the popularity of the HISD programs, go HERE. (This is a very cool resource… and lets you know what to expect.)
- Chances are, you will not get into many of the schools you apply to. THIS is why I said it’s okay (after 5 years of being heartbroken by my favorite school).
- The process and the programs and generally (mostly) the same each year. Read THIS for an overview of zoned schools, vanguard schools, magnets schools and the process.
- This is what will happen starting September 28, 2018:
- You apply to up to 5 schools for the 2019-2020 school year.
- You will rank you favorite schools… for example: #1 River Oaks Vanguard, #2 Wharton Dual Language, #3 Poe Fine Arts, #4 Wilson Montessori…
- In March, you will learn which schools have accepted our application (through the lottery).
- If you got a spot at #2 Wharton, you would stay on the waitlist for #1 River Oaks, but be dropped from the waitlists from #3 Poe and #4 Wilson…
- The official HoustonISD resources can be found HERE.
For parents that are brand new to HoustonISD, look HERE to learn about zoned schools and your options within the school district.
If you have tips or questions, let us know. And remember that this is meant to be helpful because I found the process very confusing 8 years ago… and have since been through it 4 times. This is not the official HoustonISD Magnet resource… that can be found HERE!