If we want to Homeschool in Houston, where do we even start?
Thanks to Amy H, Kimberly R, Pat S, Nicole W, Kyla H, Sarah C!
- A great place to start is with the Texas Home School Coalition. You can learn about the laws and watch a series of videos on what to consider before homeschooling, and how to start. There are also a couple THSC Homeschool Conventions coming up.
- Find a Homeschooling Group in your area. They are a huge source of information and resources. Some suggestions:
- Houston Freethinking Homeschoolers – Non-religious homeschooling Facebook page.
- Cypress Area Homeschool Association – Supporting parents and students homeschooling in the Cypress TX area. Field trips, social outings, teaching co-ops and various clubs and events.
- Homeschool Adventures Club for Kids (H.A.C.K.) – Two groups serving Houston homeschoolers: Central Houston & Northwest Houston.
- Houston Homeschool Events – Closed Facebook page to find and post classes, activities, and events for homeschoolers in the Houston area.
- Horizons Education Center (Champions Forest) – Enrichment classes for homeschoolers.
Trinity Classical School – On-campus classes meet two days per week (Monday and Wednesday), with at-home learning occurring on the alternate days.
- Kingwood Bible Church has an excellent home school program.
- Legacy Prep Christian Academy (The Woodlands) – University model school that is half private school half homeschool.
- Private Co-Ops allow kids to attend a “school” a couple days a week and to teach at home the rest of the week. One recommendation is to find your own groove with homeschooling first before committing to a co-op.
- For more information on curriculums, check out 102 Homeschool Curriculums to help match your teaching style to your child’s learning styles.
- For Houston Area Homeschool Days, Labs and Classes, go HERE!